There is nothing I love more than waking up to the sun's rays telling me a new day has arrived especially when that day is Saturday. My body hurricanes around in the sheets until my stomach starts to growl loud enough for my roommates to think I have a rabid dog hiding in my room. That's when I know it's time for breakfast, particularly breakfast in bed. Some people enjoy sitting around a table for breakfast. Others like brunching from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Not me. My doctor told me that I should never drink coffee, eat, read, or work in bed, but I like to defy gravity. Sometimes it’s great to enjoy breakfast lounging against your pillow. Breakfast in bed doesn't have to be an intense process. You don't have to put a griddle beside your bed like Michael from The Office. You don't even have to cook. Today I want to share with you how to enjoy a simple breakfast in bed without leaving your room.
1. Wake up.
2. Immediately check your phone to see if you received text messages, Instagram likes, Facebook comments, or Twitter favorites.
3. Take a moment to recover from the disappointment that you didn't receive any of the above mentioned.
4. Text your roommate (in my case, I would text Gretchen because I would receive a hard no from Haley) and ask if she/he can do you a HUGE favor.
5. When Gretchen responds but says she is at Starbucks, I ask her to bring me a grande black coffee with no room for cream.
6. After she delivers my coffee, I ask her if she wouldn't mind bringing me a little breakfast treat. She asks what I want, and I say "Luna Bar".
7. When she is rummaging through the pantry, I yell for her to bring the wooden platter so I can balance my coffee on my lap.
8. She brings a choice of Luna Bars perfectly placed on the wooden platter.
9. She rolls her eyes. I laugh.
10. I un-wrap the Luna Bar, open my Darling Magazine, and savor each bite as if it were a plate of chicken and waffles.
So, there you have it -a simple breakfast in bed without leaving your room. It's not that complicated.
*I want to thank my wonderful friend and roommate Gretchen Pegram for allowing me to use her name for this post. She is a selfless human being who indulges in my shenanigans. I would also like to thank my friend and roommate Haley Chaney for keeping it real.